It has undoubtedly happened to all of us at least once. Perhaps due to ignorance or haste, we have all once applied face moisturiser on the area around the eyes, or we have removed make-up with products that were not specifically formulated for this area. But, as you have already seen, the skin around your eyes is much more delicate than the skin of the rest of the face. Let´s see why:
- The fragility of the eye contour is due to the fact that the skin in this area is much thinner than the rest of the face, specifically about 5 or 6 times thinner; and ten times thinner than the skin around the rest of the body.
- This lower density allows cosmetic products to penetrate more easily and deeply, which is why it is not a good idea to use the same products around your eyes as the ones you use on the rest of your face.
- The eye contour also lacks a muscle specifically designed to support it, but it supports the almost constant movement of blinking your eyes (between 15 and 20,000 blinks per day!)
- It does not have sebaceous glands, or very few, which is what makes the hydrolipidic layer of the epidermis of the eye contour different from, and less protective than, the rest of the skin of the face. The skin is then much more prone to sensitivities. Another reason not to use your normal moisturiser on this area is because its lipid requirements are very different.
- The collagen and elastin fibres in this area are also present in smaller quantities compared to the rest of the face.
- It is an area prone to the accumulation of liquids, which is why bags can form, and to deficient circulation, which causes one type of dark circles.
- The closeness of the eyes and their delicacy mean that we have to pay special attention to the cosmetics that we apply around them, to avoid possible irritations due to product contact. This sensitivity is increased for people who wear glasses and contact lenses.
Now that we have found out the main differences between the skin around the eyes and the skin on the rest of our face, we have to choose a specific cream for your eye contour skincare. Take a look at Anesi’s eye contour products.